History of the NY Higher Education Support Center
During the first years of the New York Partnership for Statewide Systems Change(1991-1995), the educational community realized that traditional teacher preparation programs had not fully prepared teachers for the challenges and opportunities of inclusive schools. In 1996, teacher educators from 19 colleges and universities in New York State formed the Task Force on Quality Inclusive Schooling. In 2001, the Higher Education Support Center was created to provide support and services to the “Task Force” as its members committed themselves to the goals of quality teacher preparation and partnership in high needs schools.
Support and Services
- Maintaining a statewide network of teacher education programs.
- Establishing the 7 regional groups of the Task Force on Quality Inclusive Schooling.
- Developing the 8 standards for Inclusive Teacher Preparation Programs
- Facilitating relationships with State Education Department staff development networks.
- Establishing guidelines and models for partnerships between institutions of higher education (IHE) and schools.
- Developing, funding, and implementing opportunities for professional growth in teacher education.
- Developing resources and materials for the support of effective inclusive practices.
- Maintaining a website that offers:
- forms to apply for initiatives
- tools for keeping in touch with task force members and partners
- NY teacher education programs database
- Discussion forums
- Upcoming events